Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Confession

I've come to the conclusion that Christian confession is something of a lost art, at least on the Protestant side. Perhaps there are mainline denominations that still practice it, but in the nondenominational evangelical churches that I grew up in, that wasn't the case.

I would argue, in fact, that the very idea of confession makes most of us uncomfortable, mostly because we spend a great deal of time and energy hiding our sin from the world and each other--and therefore from ourselves. I say this because in 24 years of being a Christian, I have come across perhaps a handful who are willing to confess their own shortcomings, (and I do not include myself in that category).

One of the things I am coming to understand about our failure to participate in confession is that we become blind to sin, and yet caught up guilt over things that have very little meaning. I feel guilt for not wearing my Sunday best to church, or for not saying yes when someone asks me to do something I have no talent for or desire to do. I do not feel guilt when I have gossiped or allowed my pride to get in the way of a needed apology.

Part of the reason may be because we are so short on confessors. A person who accepts confessions holds a great deal of power over those confessing, and much wisdom and discernment is required. They need to be able to recognize when a person is sinning, when they are not being completely honest, when they are not yet ready to hear the full truth. A confessor must also know how to deliver truth with great sensitivity and tact. This is not an easy thing.

Part of the reason, too, may be because we have replaced confessors with therapists. While it is entirely possible for counselors to do and be both, the problems that they are called to address are different as is the approach that they take. Christian counselors may feel compelled to call sin what it is in their clients' lives, but the secular counselor cannot do the same. And, in the end, the question is generally, "How is this affecting your life and what purpose is this behavior serving?" Although mental health professionals often hear confessions, that is not truly their job.

Public confession is not necessary for salvation, of course. Hebrews tells us that Jesus Christ is our high priest, and we do not need a middle man to speak to God or have access to his forgiveness. But what do you think it would do for our community if we freely confessed our shortcomings? If we accepted those confessions with love and encouragement, rather than blame? If we spent more time addressing the sin in our lives, and allowing others to see us for who we really are, rather than hiding behind a mask? I have a sneaking suspicion that it might just revolutionize the Church.

All the same, I have to admit that I'm still not fond of the idea, no matter how necessary it might be. There is a reason we hide our sin from others; so often it is used as a weapon against us. Fear tends to keep us paralyzed, and the first person to confess a weakness is the bravest. I honestly do not know if I am that brave.

That's my confession.

No comments: